The Fulbright U.S. Student Program

March 4, 2014


In support of graduate students who are interested in working abroad as foreign language assistants, the University of California in Irvine (UCI) developed the U.S. Student Program. This program was designed to help graduate students find and obtain employment outside of the U.S. as teaching assistants. As a grant program, students will be able to live, work and settle down in a new location for up to one year without having to worrying about covering their living expenses.

Through the U.S. Student Program, the goal is for participants to benefit from a cultural exchange and learn from the their host families, while living and working in the host country. By allowing students to have new daily experiences, they will be able to gain a better understanding of how students are taught and teachers perform in their host countries. As a result, participants will have the opportunity to take away what they have learned through this exchange program and apply it to the classrooms upon returning to the U.S.



As a grant program that was developed specifically for graduate students, applicants are typically recent graduates who are seeking to obtain experience in the field of education. However, graduate students can come from a variety of academic backgrounds as one type of bachelor's degree is not required in order for participants to be eligible for the program. Along with graduate students, some students who have completed their doctorate or master's degrees may be interested in applying for this program. Additionally, young professionals are encouraged to apply for the U.S. Student Program. Although these individuals may not be coming directly from a post-secondary institution, they likely have the academic background and experience to support their application for this particular program. Since individuals will receive a personalized internship that is designed to help them advance in their academic and/or professional career, students must adhere to the following requirements:

?     You must live in the country from which you are applying to become a Fulbright Foreign Language Assistant

?     You must have completed your bachelor's degree in the U.S. or hold the equivalent from your home country

?     You must be fluent in English and be able to demonstrate your level of proficiency through completing a standardized test.

?     You must be willing and able to work in a creative, open, and team-oriented environment

?     You must be self-reliant, independent, and mature.


Application Process

The steps of the application process must be followed strictly as any missing documentation can delay the processing of your application. To start, you will need to verify that your home country and/or desired destination is included on the list of sponsors for this program. With over 140 participating countries, there are plenty of opportunities for you to work as a foreign language teaching assistant. However, you will not be able to work in a country that is not included on this list. Next, you will need to be able to provide the supporting documentation (citizenship card, academic records, etc.) that proves you are a graduate student and a citizen of your nomination country.  

EducationGrants for school

Whether you’re on your way to school for the first time or thinking about finishing up a degree you should explore your options when it comes to obtaining Grants for School.

Use our FREE Custom Search Tool & see what you qualify for:

Latest News

Knowing What Grants are Available to You

Mar 06, 2014

As a student who is entering college or university in the United States, it is important to understand the various types of assistance programs that have been developed to help you cover the cost of your most crucial years in school.

What Help Can I get to Help Pay for School Costs

Feb 19, 2014

Raising children is tough and expensive. Years at school are mean to be your children’s’ “time of their lives”. This may well be true, but the truth of the matter is that it is often not the parents’ time of their lives.

Requirements for Applying for an Education Grant

Jan 09, 2013

If you need help with paying for your college education you have a variety of resources, including loans, grants, scholarships and Federal student aid

How to Apply for an Education Grant

Jan 07, 2013

Education grants are money offered to a select group of students for their college tuition and other expenses.