How Do You Qualify for FSEOG
Most often explained is the Pell Grant as a federal grant that is basically like free money for students to go to college. However, there are other grants that also give money to individuals and families with low incomes, who need a college education. For many of these families, you will not qualify for FSEOG or the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. This particular financial aid award goes toward the most needy students who apply.
The program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. The recipients will also likely qualify for other grants, such as the Pell Grant, as these students have the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs). These students will be considered first over any other application to receive the grant. That is why it is so important that if you do have a strong financial need that you apply early through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Students receive between $100 and $4,000 a year through the FSEOG program. This number mostly depends on when you apply, what your financial need is, the funding at the school which you attend and the policies at the financial aid office where you go to school. In some cases, your school may not allow FSEOG programs, but you would have to check with your financial aid advisor to see if this would work for you.
For those students who do qualify for the FSEOG, your school will notify you in your financial aid package that you have received funding through the program. Your school will also credit your account, pay you directly by check or direct deposit into your bank if you have one set to your school account. Your school must pay you at least once per term (semester, trimester, or quarter). Schools that do not use semesters, trimester or quarter must disburse funds at least twice a year.
There are also some further eligibility requirements that you must follow to be able to receive the grant.
- You must be a United States Citizen or eligible non-citizen. You will have to prove your citizenship status on the FAFSA with a social security number and birthday. In some cases, you are required to provide identification, such as a license or other photo ID.
- You must also not have a bachelor's degree. The financial aid award is strictly for undergraduates, which means that you cannot use the award for graduate study programs. If you already have a bachelor's degree but you need a certification, you may still qualify for financial aid.
- You can not be in default of a federal student loan. This is important because many students try to get a loan without getting free financial aid and end up behind in payments. You should always pay attention to your student loans and pay the payments each month that you are not in school.
- You must also not have a Federal Pell Grant overpayment.
- You must also file your FAFSA before the deadline.
Students showing remarkable talents can also get a grant for a private school, including one for younger students in middle school or high school.
Nowadays, more and more students are turning to online education, both for convenience and the ability to get through your coursework quickly.